People and Ethnic Groups
Day of the Dead Celebration
a Travel Brochure
Oaxaca Flora and Fauna
- To understand how the varied terrain in Oaxaca affects the plants
and animals that live there.
- To learn about the different types of animals that may be found.
- To learn what steps the Mexican government is taking to protect
this extremely diverse area.
(See Links below)
- Paper and pencil
- Detailed map of Oaxaca state showing its physical characteristics.
- Watercolors or tempera paints
- Colored markers
- Chart or heavy duty paper
- Web sites
|Before beginning the study of
the Flora and Fauna of Oaxaca have the students complete a KWHL Chart.
(K= What Do We Know?; W= What Do We Want To Know?; H= How Do We Find
Out?; L= What Have We Learned?). This activity can be done as an entire
class or in small groups. If done in small groups, each group will share
its chart with the entire class and then the class can do a composite of
all the groups.
- What are the different types of terrain you would find in the
state of Oaxaca? What types of plants grow in each?
- What types of animals might you see in the different areas? Do you
think you would see the same types of animals in the different
areas? Why or why not?
- Name the two fresh water lagoons and describe the types of animals
you might find there.
- What types of birds like mountains? The ocean? The desert?
- What kinds of animals do you find in the ocean off Oaxaca? Do you
have those kinds of animals in the ocean nearest you?
- Break into groups and each group create a poster showing a
different type of terrain and the animals that live there.
- Create a mobile using the different types of birds you might find
|In addition to paper and pencil tests, teachers could use
individual or small group projects, oral reports, mental maps or
structured overviews for assessment.
Vocabulary Search (search box)
Oaxaca web site links